So back to cooking! Anthony and I had some friends over for dinner one night and I decided to try this tomato and basil pesto parmesan tart I had been dying to make ever since I became a fan of Closet Cooking’s blog (http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/08/tomato-and-basil-pesto-parmesan-tart.html) . I saw his recipe and salivated just looking at his pictures- I mean it has all of my favorite ingredients and almost like a flat bread pizza! Who wouldn’t love this! So I decided to make this as an appetizer! This was super quick and easy-I made it even easier by picking up some pre made pesto I got at Wegman’s Olive bar-but I will be trying this recipe again, using my own pesto- I promise.
So here’s what you need for this amazing treat…
Tomato and Basil Pesto Parmesan Tart
(makes 4 servings)
1 sheet puff pastry (thawed according to the packages directions)
1/2 cup basil pesto
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
2 large ripe field tomatoes (thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Roll the puff pastry out to a 16x10 inch rectangle.
2. Score a line around the puff pastry 1/2 inch from the edge. You can use a fork or pastry roller
3. Spread the pesto over the center of the dough and top with the parmigiano reggiano.
4. Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on top of the pesto and parmigiano reggiano.
5. Brush the outside 1/2 inch of the pastry with the oil. You can even add some garlic salt to the olive oil to give it some garlic!
6. Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the pastry is golden brown, about 15-20 minutes
7. slice, serve, and enjoy!