Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Something for Summer

I have been a busy Basil Bee this summer, trying new recipes for main entrees, sides, and desserts, and using my Le Cresuet grill pan indoors as we have not finished our backyard yet and still no grill. I went to post some of my recent pictures and recipes, but as you know, we got a puppy, and our puppy chewed my camera chord (along with Anthony's Prada reading glasses)! So I'm MIA in attaching some of my recent photos but will see how well my Droid phone camera photos hold up as I still have much to blog about.

I picked up the latest Food Network magazine, and what a great issue! There's an additional insert inside with (50) Potato Salad recipes-one for everyone's tastebuds! I tried the Ranch potato salad recipe and added some crumbled turkey bacon as well and it was delicious! Anthony rated it pretty high too! I've only attempted making a potato salad twice in my life and I have to say that I would make again and again and even bring to a BBQ, that's how confident I was in how it tasted! The recipe is below

#9. Ranch Mix 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup buttermilk, 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 2 chopped scallions, 1 teaspoon sugar, and salt and pepper. Toss with 2 pounds boiled cubed red potatoes.
* I sauteed 4 slices of turkey bacon and crumbled them and also tossed them into the potato salad as well

This issue also had a July calendar of " A month of Basil". Each day of the month they give you a unique and different idea of how to use basil with summer's produce in the kitchen and adds new ideas how to use it to the fullest!
For today-Wednesday, July 20th-"Make spaghetti for dinner: simmer a store bought tomato sauce with a few basil stems for extra flavor."
For tomorrow-Thursday, July 21st-"Treat yourself to a simple weeknight dessert: fold chopped basil into whipped cream, and spoon over blackberries."

They also include an August calendar, "A month of Tomato"! These calendars are both on my fridge! The magazine also has lean beef flavor boosters to inspire new spices and recieps for your beef as you grill this summer! So pick up a copy quickly and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment