Wow, really 2017 is here? I am way behind on lots of things to post, so keep your eyes peeled - I'm coming in fast and lots to blog about...
As our story unfolds with recent changes this year, let's settle around the table with friends and family in the dreary winter months and stir something up tasty and tomato-ey. I was recently sick and when I ventured out one morning when feeling better, my friend Laura asked if I wanted to get take out after our manicures at a local Italian place next store. Of course! So we placed our orders and I got the soup of the day, Tomatoe Bisque Tortellini soup (with some crackers on the side). I brought home it and had it while watching some TV, it was delicious!
2 weeks later, I decided on a rainy Sunday to try to recreate this recipe and stopped at the grocery store for the vital ingredients. Took about 20 minutes tops and had this creamy, luxurious soup that tasted almost like the restaurants. Picked up some fresh, warm garlic bread to dunk in the soup and served as a great Sunday meal to get ready for the work week ahead of us...Enjoy!
Creamy Tomato Bisque & Tortellini Soup
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced ( I used minced garlic in a jar - what its way faster!).
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans Campbells’s condensed tomato soup
- 1 1/2 cups milk ( 1% or skim)
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 cups vegetable broth (can substitute chicken broth if needed)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Zesty Italian dressing package (Good Seasons)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (9 ounce) package cheese-filled tortellini
- grated Parmesan, for serving
- Fresh Italian loaf or french bread
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato soup, milk, half and half, vegetable broth, and all the seasonings and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, drop in the tortellini and cook according to package instructions (probably about 7 - 10 minutes). Place lid and let stay warm for softer tortellinis.
- Serve hot with Parmesan on top and warm sliced baguette.