Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chicken and Mango Panini Quesadillas

I feel like a decade has gone by since I’ve posted, not having an oven has really limited my recipes during the week so I apologize for my MIA’ness. I found a great recipe for Chicken and Mango Quesadillas and decided to change it up a bit especially since I couldn’t bake my chicken, I had no peppers, and I decided to try my quesadillas using my new Panini maker. This is a unique way to change up a regular quesadilla and add some more healthy goodness to your dinner!
  • 1 lb. Boneless chicken breast tenders (about 8 tenders)
  • Small onion
  • 6 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 2 scallions
  • 1 mango diced
  • 1 lemon
  • Kosher salt
  • Pepper
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • 4 Whole wheat flour tortillas
  • ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
  • Non fat sour cream and your favorite salsa, optional to garnish


Preparing the chicken 
1.     In a food processor, pulse the garlic until finely minced. Add 1/2 of the onion and pulse until the onions are well chopped, without becoming pasty.
2.     Lightly salt and pepper both sides of the chicken tenders. Put chicken in large bowl or plate and squeeze some lemon juice over each and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Spread the onion and garlic over each chicken tender and rub over chicken tenders. Marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.


Preparing the Quesadillas
1.     Thinly slice the remaining half of the onion. Lightly coat a skillet with olive oil and warm over a medium heat. Saute the sliced onion for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken tenders and let heat up for 4 minutes then flip over until no longer pink in the middle. Remove from heat and set aside. Now turn your Panini maker on…
*If you don’t want to sautee the chicken and have an oven, put marinated pieces of chicken on foil lined shallow roasting plan and preheat the oven to 375. Roast the chicken at 375 for about 30 minutes. The chicken should begin to turn golden brown. Slice the chicken tenders.

2.    Lightly brush olive oil over a tortilla and top 1/2 of the tortilla with cheese, sauteed onion, thinly cut scallions, sliced chicken, cilantro, and sliced mango. Fold in half and place on Panini and close it for 4-5 minutes while it cooks. You want to see the crispy Panini lines in the tortilla and then remove. Repeat with each remaining tortilla.
3.    Slice each quesadilla into three pieces. Garnish with salsa and sour cream as desired and serve immediately.

I also tried a new side recipe with rice. I boiled white rice and then I added a small dab of butter, salt, diced tomato, feta, and basil. It was delicious and super easy. I called it my Mexican meets Italian night! The mango with the chicken in the quesadilla was a sweet and savory taste and you just want to eat more and more...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment