Last night we had leftovers, and I had plans for Wednesday night for dinner in the city with my girlfriend and so I wanted to leave a quick dinner for my husband to heat up when he got home from work since I would be out. So I wanted to try a new recipe I had come across on one of my favorite bloggers blog (http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/). This way I could have his dinner all made and extra to bring to work for my lunch today! This is super quick and the flavors and textures really give this meal a unique bite!
Adapted blog recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net (one of my favorite blogs)
Original recipe by The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of white rice (original recipe calls for Basmati, but I didn't have it in my pantry so I used long grain white and it worked great)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Green onions, diced
Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute; add the minced garlic then cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the chicken broth and season the water with a bit of sea salt and pepper, to taste; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and cook over medium low for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and don't touch for 5 minutes. Add the green onions and mix until well combined. Serve immediately and Enjoy.
Sesame Soy Red Pepper flake chicken
*rice always goes great with chicken so I looked in my fridge for something I could use to keep the asian flair with the rice and scallions dish and came up with the following on a whim...
blog recipe and photos by The Basil Bee.blogspot.com
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins (about 7-8 tenderloins)
- salt and pepper
- garlic salt
- red pepper flakes
- low sodium soy sauce
- Trader Joe's Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette
- wash and pat dry the chicken and cut into 1 inch cube sized pieces
- season with salt and pepper, pinch of red pepper flakes to your liking, and hint of garlic salt and put in bowl
- drizzle 3 tablespoons of the sesame soy ginger vinaigrette over the chicken and mix together
- drizzle 1 tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce over the chicken and mix
- then let chicken marinate in the fridge for 15-20 minutes
- heat medium sautee pan on medium-high heat. when a drop of water sizzles on the pan, drop the chicken and let cook for about 45 seconds and then stir. Continue to cook for about 3 minutes until chicken is done.
Serve the garlicky rice in a bowl with chicken on top and drizzle with the sauce left in pan and wallah! Quick dinner in 20 minutes!