Everyone loves Chinese take out, so why not create it at home and save some money! I was cleaning out some boxes and came across this awesome crock pot book where the original recipe is from Sandra Lee’s Semi-homemade SlowCooker Recipe book. I added a few other ingredients like red pepper flakes and won ton strips. It definitely needs a little kick so I highly recommend using some red pepper flakes. This book is packed with slow cooker recipes and I’ve only tried one so far and it was a hit, so next up I think I’m going to make the Cuban Style Flank steak recipe.
Moo Shu Pork
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: High 1.5 hours plus another 1.5 hours ( total time 3 hours)
Makes: (6) servings
- 1.5 pounds boneless thinly cut pork loin chops
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper flakes (if you like more heat, add more!)
- 2 bottles (8.5 ounces each) hoisin sauce (I used Soy Vay Hoisin Garlic Asian Glaze and marinade and it comes in a 16 oz bottle)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce ( I used Kikkomon low sodium soy)
- 4 scallions (green onions), chopped
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) cole slaw mix (I used Wegman’s but also in Fresh Express)
*Won ton Strips (optional)
*warmed taco size flour tortilla or hot cooked rice (both optional)-we used rice
- Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper; cut into thin bite-sized strips
- In a 5-quart slow cooker, stir together pork strips, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce until thoroughly combined. Cover and cook on HIGH heat setting for 1 ½ hours.
- Refrigerate 2 tablespoons of the scallions. Stir the remaining scallions and coleslaw mix into slow cooker until well combined. Using tongs is very helpful hear to coat everything. And don’t worry, you’re probably thinking that 2 bags of coleslaw seems like a lot to put in, but don’t worry, it will wilt down and you need 2 bags! Taste the sauce and if need be, add more salt/pepper and red pepper flakes to your liking.
- Cover and cook for another 1 ½ hour.
- Serve over cooked rice or warmed tortillas (optional). Garnish tops with leftover scallions and won ton strips.