Yummy Tortilla soup that's WW friendly, made with chicken, cilantro, onions, garlic, jalapeños, tomatoes, spices, stock, lime juice and served with monterrey jack cheese, tortilla chips, and avocado! Made 6-8 servings that enabled me to bring some for lunch last week giving me a healthy vegetable and protein loaded meal! Leaves the house smelling great too! Enjoy
- 2 tbs EVOO
- 1 ½ cup yellow onion (you can use white too)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4-5 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed (if you like the heat, add another jalapeno)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (if you like the heat, add some more!)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 roma tomatoes, peeled and diced, about 2 cups
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of tomato juice
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- ½ cup lime juice – from 2 large limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
green onions and lime slices
*you can also substitute turkey for chicken if you'd like and so in turn use turkey stock too
- Heat the oil in large pot, add the onions, green onions, cilantro, jalapeño, crushed garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato juice and shredded chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and remove from the heat.
- Serve garnished with Monterey jack cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, green onions and lime slices.
Inspired recipe from http://laylita.com/recipes/2011/11/25/turkey-tortilla-soup-recipe/Laylita